Saturday, August 10, 2013

2013 Artisan Finalist Blog Hop--Day 1

2013artisanfinalistA

Welcome to the first day of the Artisan Finalist Blog Hop!  You are in for a real treat.  Ten days of AMAZING projects from 10 of the most AMAZING artists!  I feel so privileged to be included among these wonderful ladies.


The first project I'm sharing is actually my least favorite.  I decided that I wanted to do a mixed media project and I had a good idea of what I wanted to look like.  THIS is NOT what I had in mind, but it still looked kinda cool.



Mixedmediacanvas


 I started with a blank 12" x 12" canvas.  I adhered a slightly smaller piece of the Natural Composition Specialty paper to the canvas with Modge Podge and allowed it to dry.  Then, I painted on a thin coat of Gesso.  I was hoping that some of the print from the paper would show through (it didn't), so I used a sanding block to rough it up a bit.  Next a stamped a few images in Black StazOn ink onto the canvas.  Unfortunately, I stamped one in the middle, upside-down.  I had planned to leave the middle area blank and concentrate my design in the bottom corner.....on to Plan B.


The rest of the canvas is heavily embellished with items from the Spring Catalog.  Some are still available and I'll be providing a supply list for all of my projects at the end of the blog hop on August 20th. 


Here is a close-up view of one of my favorite embellishments....the banner.  It features lots of stamping, sponging, sewing, and ribbons.



Mixedmediacanvascu


Thanks for stopping by today!  Be sure to click the next button and visit Wendy.  She's got a project for you that is just ducky!



MelissaSignature


2013artfinalistback
Back to Kaitlyn Zumbach


    
2013artfinalistnext
Next to Wendy Weixler



8 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! I love the mixed media and your details are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixed media looks good on you! This is really cool! Wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love this! The banner is absolutely amazing! Love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing project! I love all of the details, especially the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the little treasures on this are just sooo fun to look at!! All the luscious layers on that banner are fantastical!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love banners. I love lace. I love flowers. LOVE THIS PAGE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your canvas -- all of the lace and doilies just make me happy. And that layered banner -- oh, my! Gorgeous project, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooohhhh that banner Melissa! that is just delish!!!!!

    ReplyDelete